You’ll find many of your favorite statues in and around Pioneer Courthouse Square and the Pioneer District sporting handmade, holiday-inspired fashions. Plan your shopping around their festive makeovers:
- Nov. 14: “Allow me” (man with umbrella) and “Animals in pools” (deer and otters) statues
- Nov. 21: “Animals in Pools” (ducks and beavers) and “Kvinneakt” (nude woman) statues
- Nov. 30-Dec. 6: “Animals in Pools” (bears and seals) statues
Ugly Sweater Photo Contest
Is your sweater the ugliest of them all? Prove it! Get out your cameras and snap photos of your most festive holiday attire – it’s time to get Insta-famous.
How do I enter?
- Find or construct the ugliest holiday sweater ever. (Get creative!)
- Snap a holiday-inspired photo of yourself in your festive attire.
- Post it on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook using #UglySweaterPDX.
- Visit our Ugly Sweater Contest page on Facebook and fill out the submission form.
- Keep checking back to see your competition and submit new photos of you and friends in more sweaters – you can enter once per day!
Each week, we’ll give out a few lucky sweater-sporters a $50 gift card to Pioneer Place retailers and tickets to see the Portland Cello Project’s Winter Sweater Spectacular. The grand prize winner, chosen by a panel of judges, will receive this awesome holiday package:
- One-night stay at Hotel Lucia
- Two tickets to see the Oregon Ballet’s Nutcracker
- $60 gift certificate to Imperial
- Breakfast for two at Mother’s Bistro
- A downtown shopping spree including:
$100 to Mario’s, $50 to Macy’s, $50 to Made in Oregon
Holiday Dates and Deets:
- Contest kicks off Dec. 2, 2013.
- All Ugly Sweater Photo entries must be submitted by Dec. 17, 2013.
- Grand Prize Winner selected Dec. 20, 2013, National Ugly Sweater Day.
Ugly Sweater Decorating Party
Don’t have a sweater quite festive enough? You can still get your holiday on at our Ugly Sweater Decorating Party. We’ll have a few sweatshirts on hand that you can deck out with pom poms, glitter and tinsel. Or bring your own sweater if you have one that needs a little extra holiday spirit. Plus, park in SmartPark and we’ll give you a voucher for free parking!
11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Dec. 7, 2013
Punch Bowl Social in Pioneer Place
Warm wishes for all:
To help make other people’s holidays brighter, we’ll be accepting warm clothing donations for Transitions Projects. Each year, the organization helps more than 10,000 people transition from homeless to housing. Every warm clothing donation is appreciated.
There’s always something festive happening Downtown this season. Join us for holiday classics like the Pioneer Courthouse Square Tree Lighting or new, soon-to-be favorites like the Rose City Trombones and Magic Moments.
Retailers and Rewards
Don your ugly sweater Downtown and some of your favorite retailers are bound to take notice. Here are some of the many sweater-themed sales, specials, parties and other events going on at Downtown businesses this season.
Holidays on the Mall
Stop by and show off your ugly sweater or holiday costume with a free photo booth session, courtesy of Portland Mall Management Inc.
- Dec. 12, noon-1 p.m. at PSU Urban Plaza (SW 6th and Montgomery)
- Dec. 20, 5-6 p.m. at Pioneer Tower (SW 5th and Taylor)
The Heathman Hotel
1001 SW Broadway
Every four-legged overnight guest of The Heathman Hotel will receive their very own ugly holiday sweater to keep them warm during and after their stay. Lest they feel out of place, the hotel’s bronze statue of celebrity bulldog Zelda, star of Zelda Wisdom, will also be sporting an ugly sweater, hand-knit by Heathman employee Krissy Sonniksen.
729 SW Alder
Shop four Italian luxury knit lines: Rani Arabella, Amina Rubinacci, Fabiana Filippi and Les Copains. Some of their best pieces will be highlighted in the feature window throughout the holidays, and the store will also feature Scottish cashmere scarves.
- Dec. 12, 5-7 p.m.: Holiday happy hour featuring wine, small bites and a spotlight on cashmere sweaters and cardigans